Monday, March 26, 2012

Why Not? KJV Discussions

xD Admit it, you love it!!!

For those who don't know, it's a parody of the app Philosoraptor, for iPhone and Android. It's got that pic of the philosoraptor and a green background with two shades of green, and it'll have a random philosophical caption. Eg. "If tomatoes are fruits... Isn't ketchup a smoothie?" It makes a pun of Philoso-raptor.

...Anyways. This was meant for humor, I promise. Though, I sent it to two friends to see how they'd react. The first one, despite being a KJV-only believer, took it humorously. Though at first, she thought I was trying to start something up again, so I had to tell her I was just trying to make her laugh. Then we had a nice discussion about it. She's the kind that doesn't get upset incredibly easy, I like it. She can have a nice discussion with you, even if you believe the polar opposite of her. Or if you believe like she does, with some exceptions (such as not believing the KJV is the perfect Word of God). She's really nice about it. From there, I told her my thoughts on it. What I said was: "My line of thinking is: if the KJV is the perfect translation, it must be how God talks, hence it being called the Word of God. If we have God's own nature in us when we're saved, and that's how He talks, why do we pray and talk to Him in modern English?" She goes something like, "Well, that's how they spoke back then. Now that the times are later and language is changing everyday, we talk modern English." and I asked, "But does He?" Then she goes, "That's something you'd have to ask Him haha. The Bible says He's never changing."
Another thing I like about her- if she doesn't know, she says so instead of trying to come up with some feeble argument or insult. And the discussion is kept really nice! People should discuss this stuff this way more often.
That's why I sent her the pic first :P I knew she'd take it well and be cool if any discussion comes up.

On the other hand, I sent it to another friend who also believes in KJV-only (coincidentally, this is the girl-mentioned-above's brother) and he didn't take it well. He responded with Jude 1:18, which says, "How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts." And he accused me of making a joke out of the Bible. I then said I did not, as the picture does not make fun of the Bible at all, but does make an interesting point. He then said, "The KJV is the Bible and I said that it was a joke therefore I made the Bible out to be a joke." ...No, I didn't. All it does is question why some people don't pray like the KJV is written if they believe so fiercely about it. In a humorous way, yes, but what better way to bring an important matter up, than with a little laughter? He then responded with a phantom argument, saying, "Some people do." I said, "Not the majority, as far as I can tell." Then I texted him my line of thinking that I said above to his sister, adding at the end, "We're supposed to be separated from the world anyway, right?" Then he said something that really bothered me. He said, "We sin, so does God sin? We have His nature, so God must sin." That almost sounds like something an atheist would say to a Christian. First off, it's completely irrelevant, but that's irrelevant. I hope you people know, when one acquires the nature of God, as the relationship between the human and God builds over time, the human is able to think God's thoughts, feel His feelings, speak His words. Sin is out of the question, especially more and more as time goes by and the relationship grows ever stronger. To just accept we still sin after we're saved is just... as if one doesn't think God is even able to completely change us. Of course, there hasn't been a known person that hasn't ever sinned again after they were saved. But that's no excuse to accept the fact of sinning after salvation. When one sins, it damages the relationship with God, so it's a devastating thing to do.
In fact, it almost sounds like an excuse to sin. "I need to tell you something. God told me to tell you, _______ is what you're doing, it's sin, and you need to stop." "Dude, we all sin after we're saved." Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid.

I didn't go on about that, though I did sum it up in a reply: "If we have His nature, why continue in sin any longer?" He then asked, "Ask yourself that."
Honestly, that sounds like something out of a movie. What do you think?
Anyways, I'm not one to be "impacted" by movie lines, so I replied with, "I'm asking you. My answer is, there's no excuse to." And I basically said what I just said in that long paragraph above, but shorter.

Right after that, he goes, "Why don't you think the KJV is the Word of God? I just don't get it."
O.o Talk about major rabbit hole! I even called him out on it, "Goodness, you just love making the most random rabbit holes, don't you? xD"
I didn't wanna irritate him by making that into a rabbit hole, so I answered the question. "It's simply because I look at the evidence, and I look at the KJV-only arguments, and that's where it points."
He goes, "What?" I'm not sure if he didn't understand what I said (it did sound a little vague, I guess) or if he was just shocked. So I expanded a little more, saying, "I mean I've looked at the arguments KJV-onlyists make, and I look and think about the evidence, and it seems to point to the KJV being a translation, not the perfect Word of God, excluding all other translations. Of course, it's the Word of God in English, but no more that than the NASB or ESV."
He then goes, "How do you know the ESV and NASB are good?" and I say, "I don't. I don't know enough Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic to tell if any translation is good. Do you?"
It's right here he pulls out his ace-in-the-hole. "No, but I have faith."

Had he said that before I took Philosophy and Apologetics class, I prolly couldn't have come up with a really good answer. That really looks like he's got me cornered there.
I then ask, "Where does it come from? In that case, I could have faith about the NIV."
He replies with, "My faith comes from God, and I know without a doubt the KJV is the one and only Word of God."
Again, with the ace-in-the-hole. How am I gonna beat it? This way.
"At this point, you're essentially insulting me rather than arguing. You're hinting that I'm faithless, which doesn't prove anything about the KJV being perfect or not."

He never replied.

My sister said he's probably upset at me. I've not known him to stay upset with me forever, though :)

J-Lindo

No comments:

Post a Comment