Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Jon on the Revelation

Before Spring Break began, my Philosophy/Apologetics teacher said something in a brief discussion the class had on the book of Revelation. He told us the idea of Revelation talking mostly about something that was still in the future, the Beast and his mark, the End Times, the Rapture, etc. weren't actually what the book was about, and the prophecies in the book had, in fact, already been fulfilled. He mentioned Daniel, when the angel talked to him during his visions of the future. The angel told Daniel, "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end... Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." (Daniel 12:4, 9) According to his sources, it was about 300 years until everything had been fulfilled, and 560-600 years after when John wrote the book of Revelation, in which an angel told John, "Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand." (Revelation 22:10)

Actually, he never gave the references- I found them on my own. According to my sources, it was roughly 560-700 years of space between Daniel and Revelation. So here's my train of thought that does mirror my teacher's: if "seal, shut up, and close the words" is said and fulfilled within a few hundred years, but "seal not" means 2,000+ years, something must be wrong.

I've long believed 2,000 were supposed to be a short time and all that stuff in Revelation was gonna be "soon," though apparently "soon" could mean another few decades. I've believed "soon" meant 2,000+ years.

I'm questioning it now, after seeing Daniel. Daniel was told to seal them up, then John was told not to 560-700 years later.

If "soon" means 2,000+ years, and "later" only around 560-700 years, something's wrong. I have once questioned the idea of the Rapture, but now I'm questioning the whole idea of an End Times that's soon to come. Have I missed something? Possibly. I don't know. Will I do some thinking and perhaps a bit of research? Probably. I don't think I've thought or researched enough in this area to answer every question/argument thrown at me, although I wouldn't mind some to help stimulate my thinking. Believe it or not, good questions and arguments motivate me quite well to think and research more.

Anyways, just something to chew on for a bit. Part of me hopes I'm wrong, because if this idea is right and there won't be an End Times like most think there will be, imagine the disappointment and lots of lost faith when it finally is revealed to the majority of the Christians. Then again, if Christians do lose their faith because their long-held beliefs about the End Times were wrong, it shows their faith was not rooted in Christ alone.

To add on to that last part, for the Christians who read this, don't let it shake you. Really, why does it matter if there's gonna be an End Times or not? Nothing about it pertains to the core doctrines of getting to Heaven, faith in Christ and a loving relationship with Him. The End Times happening will not (or rather, should not) affect one's relationship with Christ, nor will it change the doctrine of salvation, whether it's right or wrong. Is it interesting to talk about? Sure. Like discussing whether the Earth is around 6,000 or billions of years old. It's stimulating, it's even fun sometimes, but don't let someone's beliefs about the Earth's age or the End Times make you think they're not as deep-rooted in the faith as you are- it is prideful and downright stupid. They don't affect Christ's deity or His position as God, Savior, and the loving being He is.

Until the next post,

J-Lindo

2 comments:

  1. Jon, I have long thought that end times theology was a distraction from the "simplicity in Christ". No one knows the day and the hour, but the Holy Spirit within us. I do have a sense (I believe to be the Holy Spirit), that very difficult times are not far ahead. Of course reading the paper says pretty much the same thing.
    For what is worth, there is a good case for multiple fulfillments of prophesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably is a distraction from it. Like I said, it's one of those things that really don't matter either way.
      Difficult times are ahead definitely. Though, rather than it being End Times, I would imagine it simply being that as something sits there and takes its natural course, it only gets worse and worse (or older and older) before it finally dies.
      Haha the Spirit's in the paper!
      I've been reading up on a few of them. Some are pretty convincing.

      Delete