Friday, April 27, 2012

Forgetfulness and Youth Pastor Pressure

There was something I wanted to blog my thoughts on, but for the life of me, I can't remember what!!

Was it a KJV-only argument?
Was it something I thought up?
Was it something someone said?
Was it something I read?

What was it?!?!?! Grr.

Well, this isn't it, but a friend I'd just met recently had this conversation with me:

She goes, "I'm Methodist. My dad is a youth pastor :D"
Not incredibly impressed, I say, "Cool. Bet that's fun."
Then the truth comes out as she says, "Sorta..."
Betting I already know what she's gonna say, I say, "Not really?"
She then admits, "It is, but there are downsides to it... Everyone expects me to be perfect, and be a little angel... at church I can't be myself.."
I then say a bit of info I'd learned somewhere, "Ah, I see. Yeah, it's always the pastor's kids/youth pastor's kids (or any kids of the ones in church authority) expected to be perfect angels. Which is why oftentimes they're actually the worst kids- because so much pressure is put on them to be perfect angels.
Not saying anything about you specifically, I'm not saying you're bad just because you're the daughter of a youth pastor :P"
She then goes, "Yeah. Im not bad I don't usually let it get to me."

Then she says what I think is a bunch of poop that's been shoved down her throat, prolly most of her life: "God doesn't want it to. He wants me to try to reach the expectations. But yeah."

Bull.
Bull.
Bull!

I then say, "He wants you to try to reach the expectations? Someone's given you some messed up theology.
I say He simply wants you to love Him like a bride loves her husband. With a relationship as deep and loving as that, He'll take you through anything with ease."

To which she replies, "I have been told by my dad that I should try to reach expectations even though I may not fully reach the level of them . He said its the right thing and what God wants."

So that's where it's coming from. The pressure to be an angel in church is coming straight from her father. And why not? What youth pastor wants to be known for having a "backslidden" or "fallen away from God" kind of daughter? In fact, the youth pastor's daughter oughta show everyone what a wonderful dad he is and  remind them of the reason he was chosen for the job and they weren't. Right?

This is the kind of corruption I'm really growing to strongly dislike, especially since the more I look into it, the more I see. I bet it's been in church since day one and has since passed on down to our generation.

In the words of Stan Lee...

'Nuff said.

J-Lindo

No comments:

Post a Comment